A finished look at the stool before I go into the process of refinishing it. No it isn't on the front porch anymore. I didn't want it sitting out in weather getting rusty again and it was a perfect addition to the coffee bar corner.
The vinyl on the seat of the stool had a large rip on it. My plan originally was to just replace the vinyl I never got around to this so the stool got moved to the porch with a plant on it, where it just rusted and the padding rotted.
First I had to remove the seat from the stool So I removed the screws that held on the back rest and then used a screwdriver to pry the little tabs underneath the seat that hold it on.
The rotted padding had to then be scraped off
Rusty seat sanded I wan't able to sand it all off but got it sanded as much as I could getting loose chunks off
I removed the vinyl and padding from the backrest of the stool and taped off the chrome to get it ready for painting.
Next came the very tedious job of taping off all the chrome and rubber on steps
I do not have a picture of the actual paining processes but I laid a canvas paint cloth in my driveway and spray painted all the parts the seat back rest and the faded red on the stool. I used Rust-Oleum American Accents Paint + Primer in Satin finish Poppy Red.
Well it has now been 2 weeks since I did this project because I had to get new screws for the back that had a little nut that went on with them as with not putting padding and vinyl back on the little tiny short screws didn't work. This ended up being quite a process. I took the screw into the local hardware store and told the young gentleman working there that I needed a screw that was same size around slightly longer and had a nut. He picked out some screws and nuts and put them in the bag. I got them home and only one of them worked and that was the only one that the nuts fit on. So I finally made it back to the store and I picked out the screws myself. So I painted the screws and bolts and was finally able to attach the backrest.
I poked the screws into a cardboard box and set the nuts on it and spray painted them
As I mentioned before, I didn't want the stool back on the porch to get wet and rust again so it found a new home. I had been wanting a little chair next to the coffee bar anyway, and the stool fits perfectly there. So the corner on the porch needed some new decor so I had to figure out/make something new to put where the stool once was. Watch for Front Porch Redo part 2 for another front porch project.